Saturday, January 23, 2010

Saving the world one bite at a time...

In the past year my family's eating habits have changed drastically.

We have stopped buying or eating meat at home.

I don't buy white flour- white sugar- Honestly I don't buy many things that are packaged.

I buy my eggs and milk locally.

Have you ever read the things that are in your foods?

YOU CAN'T PRONOUNCE MOST OF THE THINGS IN THEM!

It's scary.

I don't know about you- but I don't want to eat things that I don't even know what they are!- and I for sure don't want my children eating them!

Did you know that cows shouldn't eat corn? Did you know that their bodies can't process it? Did you know that they cram them into stalls and have them eat- not grass- but guess what: CORN and, oh yeah, antibiotics- to help them stay alive longer in order to eat more CORN-

Why?

So that they can get bigger- faster and so that someone's wallet can get bigger- faster.

Eat Local.

Eat Fresh.

Eat in Season.

You'll be amazed at how good you'll feel.

If you want to learn more about what is going into your body do some Research.

Some Great Books are:
Fast Food Nation, The Omnivores Dilemma, In the Defense of Food

Some great Movies are:
Food, Inc. and Fresh

Go HERE to check out the trailer for Food, Inc.

Go Here to check out the trailer for Fresh.

Get Educated- Make a difference- not only at your own dinner table,
for your own family- but for the world!

Photobucket

5 comments:

Michelle @ Delicate Construction said...

That is for sure just the tip of the iceberg of why hubby and I went vegan. I so agree!!!

Amber Filkins said...

Oh yes. I've been wanting to change some of our eating habits for awhile. I'm on Day One of clean eating. I feel great already. {ok, minus the gas & bloating, this too shall pass, lol}.

I've got a box in my kitchen right now and I'm filling it with all of the junk that I don't want my family eating anymore.

I was just telling hubby not 20 minutes ago that I want to buy local produce. And in the spring plant a garden. And find friends that have certain produce I won't, and swap.

I'm not going *totally* clean, as according to the cleaneating website, but I am overhauling most of my recipes and cutting things out completely. And making small changes here & there to some things.

We only use ground turkey in our house, for over a year now, and I love it. We still eat beef when we eat out, but I'm going to make my family quit eating fast food so much. THIS will be the hardest part for them. For us all.

I'm also going to try out a new grocery store tomorrow called Fresh & Easy. The other stores are way across town so I'm kind of against it. lol. We'll see how this store is.

And I'll be checking out some of the recipes you've posted, like the granola one. I found some on their site, and I'm going to compare them to yours & see what one's easier. :)

Where can I get all of those hard to find health food things? Hopefully Fresh & Easy, b/c I don't wanna drive across town!!

Sneaker Teacher said...

I feel like we eat less processed foods since moving to Germany. We can't buy that much bc the fridge is quite small but sometimes I look at all my groceries on the belt and I am proud of how healthy and fresh the food is. I am still a baking fanatic though, so I haven't gotten rid of the flour and sugar. I suppose I should look into healthier alternatives...or just not bake goodies all the time!

I have been wanting to read In Defense of Food and Food Inc. They are on my list!

Molly said...

My family was vegetarian when I was growing up. When I started dating the hubs, he kept telling me he was going to starve if we ever ate like my parents. :)

I buy grass fed beef, and all organic chicken, dairy and produce. It really is scary the things that are sold as food!

Thanks for the great links!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

My babe has so many allergies it forced us to change the way we eat - and I don't miss it (well sometimes, I crave a Cinnabon!)