Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Healthy, Yummy, Goodness...

For those of you that don't know this about me- I'm a healthy food-a-holic,, hard-core label reader, and a Vegetarian.
 
I like to make all of our snacks from scratch- that way I know what is going into them, and I like to keep lots of veggies and fruit on hand. 
 
Confession- I start to get a little freaked out when the fridge starts to run low.
 
I thought I would share one of our favorite recipes for pancakes with you.  I usually double this recipe and cook all of it and then freeze the leftovers so the kiddos (and myself) can have homemade pancakes on the fly on school mornings.  When you want them you just pop them in the toaster for a bit and WA-LA- hot, healthy, yummy goodness on the fly, on a school morning. 
 
The Best part- your kids will think you're the Bomb-digity!!!
 
Whole-Grain-Gluten Free-Yummy Pancakes
 
1/4 Cup Whole Flaxseeds- ground*
1/2 Cup Rolled Oats- ground* (Old-Fashion- not instant or quick cooking)
1/2 Cup Brown Rice Flour*
1/2 Cup Fava/Garbonzo Bean Flour
2 TBSP Tapioca Flour
3/4 tsp Xanthan Gum
1/4 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
2 tsp Baking Powder
1 TBSP Cinnamon
2 large eggs (or an egg replacer equalling 2 eggs)
1 Cup Nonfat Plain Yogurt or Plain Soy Yogurt or 1 Cup Milk w/ 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar mixed and set aside for 5 minutes before use
1/4 Cup Apple sauce
1 TBSP canola or oive oil
1 Cup Water (or to the consistency you prefer)
 
*Note: I grind my own flaxseeds and oats in my coffee grinder.  Your body will digest the flaxseeds them better ground- they just run straight through if you eat them whole- so grinding is a must.  You can buy it pre-ground but I think they retain their freshness and are healthiest if grind right before use.
 
*Note: If you aren't worried about making these Gluten-Free you can replace the 1/2 cup Brown Rice Flour and 2 TBSP Tapioca Flour, and 3/4 tsp xanthan gum with 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
 
Mix together Dry ingredients
 
Mix together wet ingredients
 
Make a well in center of Dry ingredients and pour wet ingredients into well and stir until just combined (be sure not to over mix or stir).
 
If you have time I find that it is best to let the batter sit for about 10 minutes or so- Go make coffee and set the table or something while you wait.
 
I use a griddle on 325 degrees so that I can cook more at one time, but you can use a skillet too if that is what you have on hand.  Spray a little non-stick spray or butter or non-hydrogenated spread on the skillet so they don't stick, then using a 1/4 cup measuring cup ladle the batter onto the skillet and allow to cook until golden brown, flip and cook until golden brown on second side.  Serve nice and warm w/ pure maple syrup and fresh berries or sliced banana, roasted walnuts, and pure maple syrup.
 
-If there are ingredients that you've never heard of and your store doesn't carry them then you can more than likely get those things at the Health food store.  Just ask they'll help you find what you need.
 
Enjoy!
 
Here are a couple of my favorite Vegetarian/Vegan/Gluten-Free Cookbooks- I got all of mine on-line:
 
 
 
 
 
All Fabulous- And All full of wonderful- Tasty- Healthy Goodness!

No comments: