This is from Betty Crocker's Best of Baking
This is for a 9 or 10 in pie
Mix in saucepan: 1.5 cups sugar, 1/3 cup cornstarch
Stir in gradually: 1.5 cups water
Cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil on minute (however I always let it boil, while stirring, for about 5 minutes. I find that it helps it firm up better).
Slowly stir half the hot mixture into: 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
Then beat into hot mixture in the saucepan. Boil 3 more minutes longer, stirring constantly. Remove from hear. Continue stirring until smooth.
Blend in: 3 Tbsp butter, 4 Tbsp lemon juice (fresh is best), 1 1/3 Tbsp grated Lemon rind
Pour into Baked pie shell. Cover with Meringue (recipe follows). Bake until a delicate brown. Serve as soon as cool.
3 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tarter
6 tbsp sugar
-I always double this because I like a big Meringue (I think it's prettier!)
1. Beat whites with cream of tartar 'til frothy.
2. Gradually Beat in sugar a little at a time.
3. Continue beating until stiff and glossy.
4. Pile meringue onto pie filling, being careful to seal the meringue onto edge of crust to prevent shrinking. If the filling is exposed to the heat (not entirely covered), it may "weep".
5. Swirl or pull up points for decorative top. Bake at 400 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes or until delicately browned. Cool gradually in a slightly warm place, away from drafts. A chill my make the meringue fall.
There it is! and it is super Yummy! This is the hubby's favorite!