Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Take That Old Man...

Do you ever wonder why and what it is that makes old people get so stinkin' cranky?

I was at the library the other day with the kids, and mind you our library is probably about 2000 square feet (one big room with bookshelves and dividers), so if your kids don't talk in a whisper someone can probably hear them.

We walk back to the far back corner where the children's section is planning to pick out some new books, a movie, and we always play for a while with the legos and toys they have there (obviously they are okay with your kids playing right?).

Anyhoo, there is this man sitting back there, probably around 65ish years old, at one of the little kiddie tables with his crap all over both tables typing on his laptop. He looks up at us as we come back there like we have just walked into his private study in his house while he is trying to research a cure for cancer or something!

I ignored the rude look and we went about our business looking for books and playing (the whole time getting bad looks). Then Ruthie walks over to one of the tables and picks up a book sitting there and then drops it on the ground (she's 1)...before I can get to it he stands up grabs the book and slams it down on the table and then grabs her sippy and moves it to the far end of the table as far away from his stuff as he can get it. OKAY! Ya old fart!

Continuing on- We get ready to go and I say, "Kane stay right here with your sister while I walk to the front counter to lay our books down and then I'll come back and grab your sister" (it was about 20 ft away and a straight shot- I could see them from the counter).

On my way back to the kids Kane reaches over and takes something from Ruthie and Ruthie yells at him- well this man looks up and yells at them to be quiet and to act right! I was like: Oh No He Didn't!!!

I said, "HEY, You need to mind your own business and I'll take care of it!"

He said, "Well, if you weren't such a bad mother off wondering around doing your own thing letting your kids just wreak havoc I wouldn't have to say anything to them!"

Old man say WHAT?!!!!

I said, "What are you talking about? I walked to the counter to lay some books down, and I could see them the whole time! And News Flash: This is the kids section- what are you even doing here?!" you pervert (okay I didn't say that last part but I wanted to!).

Then he says, "Enough said!" What the crap does that mean?

I said, "You're an idiot. Come on kids."

Then I went to the counter and told on him like a mature person. They said they were uncomfortable with the fact that he was in the children's section but the reason he was there is because they had already run him out of another section!

I said (nicely- because they were on my side), "Well maybe instead of kicking him out of sections it's time to kick him out of the whole library."

They told me how sorry they were and I left wanting to kick the butt of a man about 3 times my age!

Can you believe that! I'm mad now just thinking about it! Anyway, have a good day- and if you see a rude, cranky old man today, have your kids spit on him for me would ya!? HA!


My other blog: Diary of A Hungry Mom


Photobucket

19 comments:

Sneaker Teacher said...

I cannot believe that! How rude! How could he say that you are a bad mother when you have your kids in the library and you are picking out books??? Old cranky men do not belong in the kid's section. I mean, I can certainly understand his perspective of wanting a quiet place to read or work or whatever he was doing, but he needs to think about what kind of place he goes to if that is what he is looking for. It's like going to a playground and being annoyed that kids are playing....who does that??

Sam said...

Oh my gosh! That's incredibly rude! What kind of person yells at little kids - especially when they're in the kids section?! What a grouch. Hopefully they kick his cranky butt out of the library!

-Sam

Shawn said...

Clearly someone peed in his Fiber Bran cereal this morning!

When my oldest was about 18 months she feel asleep in her stroller while at the mall. I tried to lay the back of the stroller down so she could rest more comfortably. It startled her, she sat up and smacked me across the face. I spanked her hand and told her "NO Ma'am, you do not hit Mommy"! I could feel the stare from a nosey old lady, I turned to her and asked her if she had a problem. She informed me very loudly, now everyone was looking, that I had no business smacking my baby. I then informed her to "Mind your own business, ya old bag"!

Smacking my baby, Seriously! When did a smack on the top of the hand and a stern word become wrong?

Have a better day!

Ally Wasmund said...

Oh my gosh!! Good for you for saying something....to the old fart and to the library peeps. I think you handled it perfect!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Oh no... What a grumpy old man. And so weird that he was hanging out in the kids' section. They really should kick him out. They would have made me so mad!

You did a great job. I probably would have cried. I don't do well under stress. :)

XOXO
Jen

Mrs Montoya said...

Oooohhhhhh my - there is just no winning with some people. Those encounters are so, so frustrating and I feel your pain. If we do see someone old and cranky I WILL have the kids spit on them :)

Molly said...

you have got to be kidding me! that is awful! good for you standing up for your kiddos and not swearing at the guy. :)

Michelle @ Delicate Construction said...

Oh heck no!!! I don't blame you for a second, and quite honestly you are probably nicer than I would have been lol.

Amy said...

That is just crazy and wrong. Our children's section is a the bottom of our library. I mean when we are there all of the children are having a great time.

Ruby Red Slippers said...

That is crazy!
However, I am glad you stood up for your kids-sometimes I am so shocked, I freeze like a deer in the headlights and can't think of one thing to say!

Alli said...

My mouth seriously dropped open when I read what he said to you. What is wrong with him??? He is just pissed off at the world and making everyone else around him suffer. So sad actually. YOU know you are not a bad mom and YOU know that he was way out of line. I'm glad you said something back to him and to the library. What a jerk!

Pam said...

I am glad you said something to him! He was way out of line. Sounds like the guy I heard about on the news that slapped a child in Walmart after he told her to be quiet. Now we have to worry about gangs and OLD PEOPLE!

Jen said...

Good heavens - I can't believe he had the gall to say ANYTHING like that to you! Get a life, man.

Emily said...

omg, I'm so mad for you. I wish you had said the pervert part! Seriously, though, I most definitely would have complained it some mean old guy was in the children's section! That's just unfair to the children. He was obviously retired, why didn't he just stay at home where he wouldn't be bothered!?

Chic Mama said...

okay- first off, I'm on the floor rolling! You're hysterical! Second- good for you for saying something!

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

Oh, man. I would have verbally drawn and quartered that old fart.

Sugarplum Creations Blog said...

Goodness, where have I been? I'm so glad you're back!!! :)

As for the old man . . . good grief! I cannot believe the audacity of some people! If you want peace and quiet, you do not go to a public place. Especially not one that caters to children. UGH! I'm angry for ya!

Ali said...

Wow.

The NERVE of that man.

I'm so sorry, that was a horrible thing he said. And clearly NOT TRUE.

I'll keep my eye out for him in libraries...

Bethany said...

Wow, what a rude guy! Libraries are strange places...