Sunday, June 27, 2010

Days 2 and 3- Finding Our Kicks on Route 66

We're having a great time!

Yesterday (day 2) finished off with some swimming with my sister's family and then going out for some pizza- We had 2 of the best vegetarian pizzas I've ever tasted!

We woke up this morning and after some craziness- which included a Wal-Mart run- we hit the road again- this time headed for Oklahoma City.

While there we visited the Oklahoma City National Monument. It was so sad and hard to believe what had taken place there. It was especially hard to handle when I saw the smaller markers which marked the deaths of children. It just makes you realize that life is a gift and that we should make the most of every moment that we have- especially the ones with our loved ones.


After that we drove around downtown OKCity and then headed to Stock Yard City to eat at Cattlemen's Steakhouse- being the 95% vegetarians that we are- it wouldn't have been our first choice but Nolan assured me that it was on the list of "1,000 things to see before you die" so he said we had to eat there. I ate turkey. At a famous steakhouse. I'm weird. I know.

After lunch we hit the road again this time with our sites set on Texas- and another steakhouse. And Yes!- everything is bigger in Texas- 72 oz bigger in Amarillo, TX at The Big Texan Steakhouse. No, we didn't try the challenge but we did eat, all 4 of us, for only $8. How? you ask. We ordered the Chicken Fried steak which was regular $15, we had a 50% of coupon, we all shared (yes- all 4 of us shared one dish), and Yes- we all left feeling nice and comfortably satisfied- Not stuffed and disgusting like most- I'm sure.




Now it's bed time- Day 4 is taking us into New Mexico- Can't wait! Good Night!






Photobucket

5 comments:

Christie in Dallas, TX said...

Sounds like you're already having a great time! Wish your trip brought you to Dallas for a night! :-) Every summer I'm jealous of this trip that you all take -- such great memories you are making. Thanks for sharing it on your blog.

Be safe!!

Unknown said...

2 steakhouses in ONE day? What's gotten into you??

~Becca

Rhonda said...

Off to a great start. I always feel funny sharing plates like they are looking down on us. I guess I need to get over it. I've never shrared a plate between all of us.

Cherish these moments my friend!

Shawn said...

I love that you all shared one meal, you're a riot! Have fun on the rest of your travels!

Anonymous said...

that's funny...Austin also carries the "1000 things" book us whenever we travel to a new place...sometimes we travel just to knock something off of the list. I've yet to be disappointed! I also love the "insider's guide" series. I have one for the grand canyon...are you headed that way?